Adapted from Food & Wine Magazine's Marcus Samuelsson by Claudia Sansone
Prep Time: 5 min
Cook Time: 45 min
Total Time: 50 min
- 2 Cups Brown Lentils
- 1 Carrot, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 medium red onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 quart vegetable broth
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons Ras el Hanout Spice
- Salt and ground black Pepper
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoon chopped cilantro
In a large saucepan, cover the lentils, carrots and onions with vegetable broth and bring to a boil. Simmer until the lentils are tender and almost all the liquid has evaporated, 35 minutes. In a food processor, puree the lentils and vegetables.
In the same saucepan, melt the butter. Add Ras el Hanout Spice and cook over low heat stirring a few times, until fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add the lentil puree and cook stirring for 5 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and stir in the lemon juice. Garnish with cilantro. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Serve with toasted pita bread